San Rafael Multiple DUI Lawyer
Defending Against Multiple DUI Charges in California
Facing multiple DUI charges in California can be an overwhelming and distressing experience. If you or a loved one are dealing with such legal challenges, having a skilled and experienced attorney can make all the difference. At Chambers Defense, we provide experienced legal representation to individuals dealing with multiple DUI cases in California. Our dedicated team of legal professionals is dedicated to protecting your rights and ensuring the best possible result for your case.
Call Chambers Defense today at (415) 423-2828 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our multiple DUI attorneys in San Rafael.
What is a Multiple DUI?
A multiple DUI, also known as a repeat or second-time DUI, occurs when an individual is arrested for driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, and they have previously been convicted of a DUI offense. The legal threshold for a DUI in California is a blood alcohol concentration of 0.08% or higher. The penalties become significantly more severe when someone is arrested for a second or subsequent DUI offense within ten years. The law aims to discourage repeat offenders and prevent them from endangering themselves and others on the road.
What are the Penalties for Multiple DUI in California?
The penalties for multiple DUI convictions in California are stringent and designed to deter individuals from reoffending. These penalties escalate with each subsequent conviction:
Second DUI Offense:
- License suspension: Up to 2 years.
- Jail time: A minimum of 96 hours up to 1 year.
- Fines: Substantial fines, often ranging up to $1,000
- DUI school: 18 to 30 months of DUI education program.
- Ignition Interlock Device (IID): Installation is required for up to 2 years.
Third DUI Offense:
- License revocation: Up to 3 years.
- Jail time: Mandatory minimum of 120 days up to 1 year.
- Fines: Significantly higher fines, potentially exceeding $1,000.
- Extensive DUI education program: 30 months.
- Mandatory IID installation.
It's important to note that these penalties may differ based on the particular circumstances of the case and the defendant's prior DUI history. Additionally, having a legal professional who understands the nuances of California DUI laws can significantly impact the outcome of your case.
Defenses Against Multiple DUI Charges
Contrary to popular belief, being charged with multiple DUIs does not automatically mean a conviction. Skilled legal representation can explore various defense strategies to challenge the charges and potentially mitigate the consequences. Some common defenses include:
- Procedural Errors: Law enforcement must follow proper procedures during the arrest, including adhering to constitutional rights. Any violations or errors could lead to the suppression of evidence.
- Accuracy of BAC Tests: Breathalyzer and blood tests are not infallible. Factors such as calibration, maintenance, and administration can affect their accuracy. An attorney can investigate whether the test results are reliable.
- Field Sobriety Tests (FSTs): These tests are often subjective and can be affected by various factors like medical conditions or nerves. Challenging the validity of FST results is a viable defense strategy.
- Rising BAC: It takes some time for alcohol to be fully absorbed into the bloodstream. If your BAC was rising at the time of the arrest, it could challenge the accuracy of the results.
- Illegal Stop or Arrest: If law enforcement lacked probable cause to provoke the traffic stop or arrest, evidence collected may be inadmissible in court.
Dealing with multiple DUI charges can be daunting, but you don't have to navigate this complex legal process alone. At Chambers Defense, our experienced multiple DUI attorneys deeply understand California DUI laws and are ready to defend you and your rights.
Contact Chambers Defense today to get started on your defense with our San Rafael multiple DUI lawyer.